One of the goals of Troop 5 is to identify service projects for the troop that enhance and give back to our community. Through performing community service, we hope that Scouts, as well as parents and adult leaders, learn how gratifying and rewarding it is to help others and will continue to do so outside of Scouting.
One of the key requirements for the rank of Eagle Scout is the Eagle Scout Project. The Scouts, Leaders, Parents, and Troop 5 Alumni volunteer to help on these projects.
Service projects in the past few years have included:
- Camping trip for 5 handicapped adults with special needs living in a Jespy House group home in South Orange
- Painted a mural of an underwater scene at St. Barnabas’s children’s waiting area
- Construction and repair of raised flower beds for science projects at Seth Boyden School in Maplewood
- Prep, paint and repairs of the multi-purpose building at Maplecrest Park in Maplewood
- Repairs and landscaping for Tuscan School outdoor learning amphitheater
- Repairs on the preschool playground fence at Morrow Memorial Church in Maplewood
- Collected school supplies for Hurricane Katrina victims for a school in New Orleans
- Remove debris, paint and repairs to Orchard Park multi-purpose building
- Refurbish 6 Community Bulletin Boards throughout Maplewood